Monday, November 30, 2009

“Your I-Phone is I-nnoying!”

Last year, my early adopter friend snagged an I-phone, and wasn’t afraid to use it. Whether she was texting while meeting her boyfriend’s parents at a restaurant, updating her Facebook status, or playing her music, her I-phone was always there for her. In fact, her boyfriend got so annoyed that he commented on her new toy: “Your I-phone is I-nnoying!” I though that was humorous, however, he is having the last laugh. My boyfriend, Steve, just bought a new I-phone two weeks ago, and I am now faced with a similar situation. When we are watching TV, he is checking the Internet on his I-phone for game stats. When we are looking for restaurants to eat at, he is playing the random selection game on his Urban Spoon application. When we are heading to a destination to which I know directions, he is right there driving and using his GPS and mapping system on his dumb I-phone. Will I-phones replace computers for Internet browsing, and will I continually be I-nnoyed?

Through the utilization of the uses and gratification theory, I could gain insight into what needs are being fulfilled through Steve’s active role as user of his I-phone. Therefore, I conducted a simulated focus group of one to explore this. Now, I realize that focus groups consist of more than one person but I wanted to pose a couple of open-ended questions to Steve to uncover this phenomenon and receive honest data (we can pretend that he wasn’t the only subject).

The participants of the study commented that access to information, ease of use, and integrated technology (i-pod, phone, Internet, texting) were the key reasons for using the I-phone. One participant commented, “the learning curve is small, so it is so easy to learn to operate without a manual”. One participant commented that the I-phone acts as a problem-solver: “It is a security blanket when I leave home”. Key applications used by participants were sports (scores, stats, game times and places), restaurant guides, maps, weather guides, movie guides, email, and Facebook. Participants could see themselves spending less time on the computer because of the I-phone. A participant claimed that “Information is 2 or 3 taps away” to explain why computer use would decline, as the applications on the I-phone are easier to use than web browsing. Participants also commented on the I-phone’s flashy appearance and the status recognition that goes along with the I-phone.

Through my intimate and simulated focus group, I have found that the I-phone does serve many needs for people, especially the need for quick and easy information access and use. As technology grows, I can only hope that nothing more I-nnoying than the I-phone will surface. Maybe I should conduct a real focus group and present my scholarly findings?!

1 comment:

  1. It's a tough habit to break; it's a lot like Facebook in that way.
    I have had to force myself not to turn the car around and get my BlackBerry when I forget it on the way to the grocery store. I was once addicted to my phone, but I broke the habit.
    Like anything else in this world, too much of anything can be bad for you.

    ReplyDelete