Monday, November 30, 2009

Ryan Seacrest Rides the Clear Channel Waves



On my drive to school and other locations, I normally listen to whatever I have in my car CD player, Cities 97, or 102.9 FM in the months of November and December (for the Christmas music). Occasionally, I will listen to KDWB's morning show. Throughout the past few months, I have noticed that KDWB no longer has a live DJ throughout the mid-morning to late afternoon hours like they have had in the past. Instead, I hear the obnoxious voice of Ryan Seacrest, who imparts more gossip and pop songs than even I can handle. What happened to these live DJs? Why do KDWB listeners have to be at the mercy of Ryan Seacrest for 3-5 hours?

After doing some research, I discovered that as of February 28, 2008, Clear Channel (the company that owns KDWB and 1000 other radio stations) and Ryan Seacrest formed a partnership to produce the live radio show venture hosted by Seacrest (http://www.clearchannel.com/Radio/PressRelease.aspx?PressReleaseID=2140). The show revolves around pop culture entertainment in music, film, and television. The article stated: “It is a multi-platform deal in which Seacrest develops on-air content, hosts the program, distributes some elements across other platforms, and provides a portion of integrated advertising options.” Our class has discussed Clear Channel as a huge company with a large holding in radio stations and outdoor advertising, and an example of one of the four traditional gatekeepers of the music industry. Additionally, our class has spent time examining pop culture and its place in society.

It is amazing that one company can own and control so many radio stations and the content. I know from traveling to Jacksonville, FL, that the content heard on KISS FM has the same pop songs and Seacrest red carpet news that KDWB does. I am disappointed that radio fails to be diversified. Even MN stations like KS95 and Jack 104.1 are rolling out the pop songs more than ever before. In terms of Clear Channel radio stations playing the role of gatekeeper, artists will continue to lose money when their songs play frequently and for free on the waves. The film “Money for Nothing: Behind the Business of Pop Music” really opened my eyes to the costs incurred by music artists and the obstacles they face through the channels by which their music is spread. People wonder why musicians like TLC or Britney Spears could ever go broke, and it is apparent when you examine fees for touring (use of venues), the recording studio, and distribution costs. However, this radio show is not without benefits to pop stars; Seacrest does live interviews and provides advertising for touring artists on his website, www.ryanseacrest.com, which was re-launched with the start of his show.

As I reflect on how Clear Channel’s pop god messenger, Ryan Seacrest, has ruined countless hours of radio waves, I can only thank my lucky stars that I have retired KDWB (except for the morning show) as a station of choice, and I am mature and well-rounded enough to embrace more complex material than “My my my poker face my my poker face…” or “Party in the USA”. I just want to thank my CD player for being a trusty “gatekeeper” from some of the redundant pop crap out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment